Re: Building multiple backends on on same system

On 12/06/2010 08:39 PM, Benjamin Otte wrote:
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Alexander Larsson<alexl redhat com>  wrote:
You can of course check on the type of anything, like the display or a
window. However, sometimes there might be no display availible, like if
its not been opened yet.

I think the question is if we want to support multiple different types
of displays in the same application, like cairo allows xlib surfaces
and gl surfaces to coexist in the same app. Do we envision a time when
we have a use for two different types of backends running in the same
app at the same time?

As an example for those, I can already see apps today which provide a Gtk+ UI and a web interface at the same time. So having a same app providing X11 and web windows is not impossible, from a conceptual standpoint. You would then have a X11 display and a Web display open at the same time.

Even if it is not allowed right now, it might be useful to let this opportunity without too much of an API churn in the next Gtk+ major release.