Re: Gtk-OSX (was: Website proposal for usability)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> >
> >> For a GTK+ runtime package ("GTK+ Framework"), I think you should
> >> check out what has been done in the past.  It is by no means an easy
> >> task.  The latest code and instructions for this are at the GTK-OSX
> >> website if I am not mistaken.
> >
> > I'm aware it's not an easy task. That's why I'm requesting that
> > such a runtime package be made available as a download via gtk.org
> > (and offering to help in building one to the extent I'm able).
>
> its been explained quite a few times before that applications that use
> GTK and ship a bundle for OS X will almost certainly include GTK
> *inside* the bundle. providing standalone GTK frameworks is almost
> useless for users.

It has certainly been explained that that is the situation on
Windows, and I fully accept it. It's less clear that it should be
the situation on OS X, with its *nix-type substructure.

But even if we suppose that the best way to distribute a GTK app
for OS X is with GTK bundled internally, I don't think that
invalidates the idea that it would be very useful for app
developers to have a GTK runtime package available, as we do for
Windows. As things stand, rolling your own GTK for OS X is a
significant hurdle, and one that doesn't really have to be there.

Allin Cottrell