Re: Website proposal for usability

On 21/08/10 12:12, Devin Samarin wrote:
I thought I'd give up update of what the site is looking like now, and
I hope everyone is fine with using this mailing list.

I have integrated tweets from identi.ca in the News Feed on the main page.

I finished the re-design of the GTK-Doc area:
http://eboyjr.homelinux.org:8080/gtk/gtk-doc/

I agree with most of the comments here, I also don't really think it looks great to have a sub-menu at the top of the page like that.

I prefer the way it was before, where it has a separate title and is almost a website under a subdirectory.

I don't mind if we have a submenu if it looks related to the menu at the top though... to give a few examples:

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/

and

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

the news/ directory clearly has another menu there and it seems to look ok, but it all feels connected.

I made it usable for mobile devices and people with smaller screens
(why not?) --you can try it by resizing the browser window's width
smaller and smaller in a popular non-ie browser. Also a special layout
for when printing the pages. (Firefox's print is buggy though no
matter what I do)

Actually, this is not really what I had in mind for smaller devices, a lot of websites have a /mobile implementation which is less horizontally challenging ;)

Again, using the BBC:

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/

The only page left--in my opinion--that needs polishing is the features page.
I really hope to see the changes merged on the current gtk.org site
anytime soon. :-)

Actually, this is one of my favourite pages, it looks great. What did you want to polish here?

Martyn