rendering-cleanup worries

I don't have very much time to work on the rendering-cleanup stuff, but
I do look at it now and then. This change caught my eye today:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk
+/commit/?h=rendering-cleanup&id=eb6e2bddc86746bd90f617489d1c423c17c1959b

It may seem correct and easier, and in most cases it will work. But
things like that were added for a reason. In this case it is to make
things like notification icon work, where there the parent of the window
we paint in is a foreign window (the tray) so we don't know what
background it has set. Using a native X clear function means we'll get
this right anyway. Without this change all systray icons get a black
background.

In general I'm a bit worried about the rendering cleanup branch wrt
non-obvious issues like this. After doing the "simple" part of the csw
work I spent many months chasing minute issues like this to make the
full desktop with all its apps work with csw. I fear that we will not be
able to do this with gtk3, because there are not enough apps to expose
all the corner case issues we might hit before we release, and by then
we're frozen and may be unable to fix some issue.

Note, I'm not fundamentally against the cleanups, in fact I like them.
I'm just worried that they will cause unforseen problems down the line
unless we can really get it fully battle tested (i.e. not only demos and
tests) before being frozen.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a deeply religious guitar-strumming werewolf for the 21st century. She's
a strong-willed renegade advertising executive looking for love in all the
wrong places. They fight crime!