Re: Speeding up thumbnail generation (like multi threaded). Thoughts please.

Hi,

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 11:46 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 22:59 +0200, Mark wrote:
>
> > hehe that was the idea indeed ^_^ and i will continue with that.
> > I will test the large factors tomorrow.
> >
> > For now i'm happy with 100% cpu usage on all my cores (4).
> > with the code posted in my previous message i only had 70% cpu usage
> > so there was a bottleneck and it wasn't the HDD nor the CPU.
> > Now that's fixed with giving each thread more then one (5 actually)
> > images of it's own before locking and refilling the queue of 5 so now
> > there is 100% cpu usage in the multi threaded benchmark.
> >
> > http://codepad.org/PKnp69qW
>
> Ok, i tested this a bit, and my results are not the same as yours.
>
> I tested on a directory with 1348 jpeg files, each aroung 5 megapixels,
> totalling 3.1 gig of data.

did you try testing with an already thumbnailed directory ? I find
Nautilus quite slow in this case (sorry, I'm not at home right now do I
can't test), although if I understand correctly there's not much work to
do.

	Xav