Re: libdispatch vs glib

Hi Christian,
Have you considered to merge some of the core functions of your library to glib?

BTW, it would be very good if you can provide some documents.

2009/9/16 Christian Hergert <chris dronelabs com>
I forgot to mention that I have an example of how to use it which is a serialization library for GLib/GObject called Catalina.  It does transparent serialization and optionally compression of the main glib types and GObjects.

It takes TDB and builds concurrent transactions using message passing.

 http://git.dronelabs.com/catalina

-- Christian

Christian Hergert wrote:
Hi,

Have you see my library iris[1]?

It includes a lot of the same sort of stuff (albeit not nearly the
attention and optimization yet) and includes:

* a work-stealing scheduler thats 8x faster than GThreadPool
on my local machines (dual and quad-cores)
* message-passing using ports/receivers
* a dynamic scheduler manager that can scale threads as neaded
and tear them back down. applications can have multiple schedulers
based on what they want if needed.
* reusable lock-free data structures such as Queue, FreeList, Stack,
and Round-Robin.
* IrisTask which is like Twisted's Deferred for addCallback/addErrback
type functionality.
* iris_arbiter_coordinate() which is a reader/writer lock implemented
asynchronously using message passing (on top of ports/receivers)
* bindings for python, vala, and gobject-introspection (vala might be
out of date though).
* GMainLoop integration for scheduling callbacks in the mainloop.

One major thing it lacks

* eyes looking at the code
* documentation

But best of all, its written fully using GLib :-)

I wrote this during my spring/summer after I quit my job. However I
start a new one in a few weeks but would love some input from others and
ideally more people to commit features and generally use it.

Cheers,

-- Christian

[1] http://git.dronelabs.com/iris

cee1 wrote:
Hi all,
Following is a comparison between libdispatch and glib, just for
interest.

First, libdispatch is the user space part of apple's GDC(Grand Central
Dispatch), resides at http://libdispatch.macosforge.org. There is also
an introduction at
http://developer.apple.com/mac/articles/cocoa/introblocksgcd.html.

At first glimpse, libdispatch provides three different types of dispatch
queues:

1. Main queue: equivalent of glib's main event loop
2. Global queue: backed up by a thread pool. All the jobs sent to
this queue, will be executed in arbitrary threads asynchronously.
3. Private queue: jobs in this queue will be executed serially.

Both private queue and main queue are just threads in global queue. It
should be more user-friendly than combining GMainLoop and GThreadPool,
e.g. process GSource in another thread (i.e using thread pool in the
callback of that GSource).

The private queue can be considered as a pipeline (imaging GstPipeline
in gstreamer).

libdispatch also has a type of dispatch_source_t, equivalent of GSource,
but the callback is running in global queue, (hence, a different thread)

libdispatch is built on an extension to C (blocks), which is like
GClosure.