Re: GIO will link with -pthread soon

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 14:57 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> One issue with this change is that it sort of breaks the whole reason
> for having libgthread in a separate library.

Ben has indicated that he thinks that by 3.0 threading should be
non-optional in all glib applications on the premise that the small drop
in performance is justified by all of the headaches going away.  I think
he might be right.

>                                              Maybe we can link libgio to
> libgthread instead? It won't make it disappear, but it will at least
> make the thread lib status standardized across platforms.

I prefer linking to libpthread because it's the smaller hammer.  A small
solution that directly targets the only symptom of the problem.  If we
link to libgthread then I think we should also attempt to call
g_thread_init(), which is sort of tricky (although we could do it from
the extension-point initialisation stuff).

Cheers