GTK+ print preview

Hi all,

I've realized that print preview doesn't work as I thought, and I'm bit
confused. An application open the print dialog by using
GtkPrintOperation, then the user clicks on preview and a pdf file is
generated to be used by a previewer. Such a file is passed to evince
together with the print settings needed to print the file. The print
dialog is closed, so we need to be able to print the document from the
previewer.

The problem is that the generated file doesn't take into account the
print settings, so that, for example, if I select to print only a range
of pages, the whole document is displayed in the previewer. I guess this
is because the whole document is sent to the printer and the cups
backend tells the printer what pages should be printed based on print
settings.

This is confusing, since I expect to see in the previewer the options I
selected in the print dialog (page ranges, multiple pages per sheet, and
so on).

There's another issue. The previewer only knows the generated pdf file
and the print settings, so in order to print the document it creates a
GtkPrintJob to send the pdf document to the printer. This only works for
the cups backend, for the file backend all print settings will be
ignored, because they are handled in GtkPrintOperation, not in the
backend. Print -> Preview -> Print should always produce the same output
than just Print.

How should this work? how does it work in macosx and win32?
--
Carlos Garcia Campos
   elkalmail yahoo es