Re: The GTK+ file chooser

Hi,

On Sat, 2009-05-16 at 20:36 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> > IMO this is now pretty much of a non-issue, since the current GTK
> > file selection dialog is sufficiently like Windows (but nicer!).
>
> I'm not sure what planet you're living on.  The current gtk+
> file chooser absolutely stinks!  It fails miserably in its
> primary task: showing the user what files are there in
> order to let the user pick one.
>
> In particular is it very, very bad at managing its screen real
> estate.  See
>
> http://blogs.gnome.org/mortenw/2009/01/21/the-gtk-file-chooser-dialog/
> http://blogs.gnome.org/mortenw/2009/02/23/the-gtk-file-chooser-dialog-take-ii/
>
> (The first is mostly for context.  SuSE shipped with a bad bug.)

What you are showing there are applications using the file-chooser
incorrectly. In particular they don't set the window size large enough
(or they forget to remember the user-chosen size). OK, that could
probably be improved in the size requisition of the file-chooser dialog.
But I wouldn't say it's a fundamental problem and it doesn't make the
current file-chooser dialog stink.

Of course there is always room for more improvements. But even though
the file-chooser did really stink in the beginning, it has over the last
years evolved into a dialog that I enjoy to use.

Sven