Re: Gtk+ problem with time-consuming threads

>> You can't use GTK+ from multiple threads on Windows. That is just how
>> it is. It is a consequence of GTK+ originally being written just for X11.

> I always thought it was because of how the Windows event model works.

Yes, exactly. That is what I mean. With its dichotomy of "sending" and
"posting" of messages, creator thread -aware windows, etc, it is quite
different from X11 which is a network protocol. The GTK+ code was
written originally only for X11. That it was possible to port it to
Windows is in retrospect a bit surprising, I must say, even though I
did it myself.

(I don't know how toolkits that have been written from scratch with
both X11 and Windows in mind (like presumably Qt) then differ in the
general working of their low-level machinery, but I assume they do in
some significant way.)

--tml