Re: tree model

2009/5/12 Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:

>> I should have been slightly more clear:  I am interested in being able to
>> provide a GtkTreeModel for those people who wish to use it without having to
>> link to libgtk myself.
>>
>> So the problem with using GNode: GtkTreeView doesn't use it.
>
> I don't see why this is something we should be eager to support. Since
> tree models are only useful with GTK+ widgets, it doesn't seem like a
> big burden to link against gtk when you are providing tree models. The
> consumer of your model will already link against gtk anyway.

I recall having issues with this... But my memory serves me badly...

Is it that gtk_init() requires a connection to X? That way if I am
writing mydaemon based on mylib.so then mydaemon will require X to
run. Maybe gtk_init_check() can work around this, or maybe the library
does not need gtk_init_* in the first place... I  am hoping that I can
use the same data model in the daemon and in the GUI app so that I
don't have to wrap it in a GtkTreeModel when using it in the GUI app.

Anyway, I just want to back Ryan up on this one. I've been wanting a
GTreeModel for the exact same purpose as Ryan on more than one
occasion.

--
Cheers,
Mikkel