Re: fsync in glib/gio

From: "Brian J. Tarricone", Date: 15/03/2009 07:31

> That sounds pretty awful, to me, to be honest. So every FS -- no, wait
> -- every FS that's going to be pushed as a "mainstream" FS -- is going
> to have to be closely monitored to make sure it doesn't have this
> behavior? Everyone's going to be putting little band-aids over this
> issue, but only in FSes we "care about?" The underlying issue, the
> root cause -- that the spec allows what many consider very unsafe
> behavior -- is just going to be ignored?

In the absense of a "sync this file" or "do this / tell me after file safely sync'd" call, it's the next best thing. The ability to "stack" file system operations and/or obtain completion status would probably be a much better way of dealing with this. A quick at-exit cleanup routine could check for completion of a two-step save-and-rename operation, and force a flush if not, etc.

Although, the idea of "ordered" operations does seem to suggest that something like this WOULD be considered. Making sure it's writing the data for a file before using it to overwrite another file, does seem fairly "in order" to me, and seems like rather a bit of a glaring omission from any FS's that don't. I've always just kind of assumed that they WOULD do that.

I've got a generally pretty damn slow system, and a fair bit of file system activity going on, including an unwholesome amount of swapping. I'd really rather now have a bunch of unneccesary sync's going on. We have probably four or five power failures a year, and I've yet to loose anything, even on the old FAT partition. I, for one, don't want this being pushed on me. If it's a problem, I'll change my file system settings to make them safer, or look to another file system that is.

Fredderic
   Adult Education
Get educated. Click here for Adult Education programs.
Click Here For More Information