Re: glib dbus bindings notes

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Ville M. Vainio <vivainio gmail com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 8:19 PM, David Zeuthen <david fubar dk> wrote:
>
>> So I don't really know about bindings. I kind of assumed most other
>> languages had their own bindings in place based on libdbus since that's
>> pretty much what libdbus is all about.
>
> Unfortunately (?), the raw libdbus is easier (and more reliable
> dependency) than what else is available. I took a glimpse at dbus-glib
> binding, and didn't see the reason it would be the "easier" binding. I
> believe libdbus is presented too bad a light in the api docs.

Well, if you're using DBus at all, it's very often the best design to
structure your application around a mainloop.  If you can/already-do
depend on GLib, then it just makes sense to use dbus-glib at least for
the mainloop integration and other fundamental bits.

But beyond that, yes - whether the object mapping dbus-glib provides
is useful depends on your use case.