Re: A tale of waiting
- From: Mathieu Lacage <mathieu lacage sophia inria fr>
- To: Dirk-Jan Binnema <djcb bulk gmail com>
- Cc: gtk-devel-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: A tale of waiting
- Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:13:50 +0200
On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 12:09 +0300, Dirk-Jan Binnema wrote:
> For a little fs-specific trick on Linux: If you actually have to
> *open* the files (e.g, for sniffing), you can make things quite a bit
> faster by sorting the files in order of inode first, if you are on
> ext3 (and ext4 I suppose, as well as other hashed-b-tree supporting
> file systems). I got around 40% improvement.
the beos file manager used the same trick on befs (this bit of trivia
comes from pavel cisler, the beos file manager developer).
] [Thread Prev