Re: glib uses wrong prefix for base-2 units

On Wed, 03 Jun 2009 16:07:37 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 cornell edu> wrote:

> > * It would avoid ambiguity and consumer confusion:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Consumer_confusion
>
> Arguably, using KiB etc. in the user interface could confuse the user
> just as much.

I make the same argument here as I made last time:

  I'd rather the idiots presume I can't spell, then the experts presume I
  can't count.

In other words, pandering to the uninformed is no way to educate them and
fix the situation. Yes; we messed up 30 years ago and said "k" when we
meant "Ki". Oops. Sorry about that.

Lets not do it wrong for another 30, please?

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd leonerd org uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/