Re: Thoughts on GTK+ and CSS

Am Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:45:26 +0200
schrieb Robert Staudinger <robert staudinger gmail com>:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Keith Rarick<kr xph us> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >> The "margin" property in gtk is not implemented like you assume
> >> above. Also does GtkContainer not expose information about child
> >> widget positions like you suggest using ":first-child" and
> >> friends. Work on those limitations would break the way for more a
> >> more comprehensive mapping of css onto gtk.
> >
> > Okay. I only meant that example to suggest what a theme could do in
> > principle, even if it uses features that don't exist yet.
> >
> > Would you accept a patch with work toward those things, such as
> > margin or first-child?
> If there way a way to get the position of a child in a GtkContainer
> (thus allowing for :first-child and other positional pseudo classes to
> be implemented) that would make quite a difference in what you can do
> with the css engine. I'm not in the position to make the call on gtk
> patches though.

You are probably aware that gtk_container_get_children () does give yo
the positions of children. Assuming that the lack of guarantees about
order of widgets in a container is the actual problem, maybe this can be
reconsidered. There was a bug I can't find right now suggesting a
policy for this containers would be recommended to follow.

Regards,
    Christian