Re: set_resize

Hi,

0On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 17:00 +0100, Pietro Battiston wrote:

> > Forcibly clipping window size would anyway only be band-aid to the
> > real problem in the application, which can be:
> >  - it doesn't constrain the size of a dynamically resizing widget
>
> I don't see how this is a problem; instead, it is where my question came
> from: I had a ScrolledWindow which I wanted to be as big as possible,
> but not as big as its child if that meant overflowing screen.

The problem here is that the application might, for example, display a
label with content it reads from somewhere. So, the application doesn't
know in advance, how long the text can be. If it's displayed straight
away, it can end up containing thousands of characters, which will
expand the window very large horizontally.

The right approach would be to enable ellipzation (or scrolling),
which quarantees that the label will only consume some sane amount of
space, no matter how long string it will display. Then the user can
resize the window if she wants to see larger piece of ellipsized
content.

Usually it's better to left sizing of the window to the user. So, you
don't need to make your scrolled window "as large as possible". The user
will make the toplevel window larger if she is interested about the
content. But certainly you can provide some initial size for your app.

Cheers,

-Markku-