Re: GtkOrientable: Can widgets now be flipped?

On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 18:47 +0100, Mathias Hasselmann wrote:
> Am Sonntag, den 08.02.2009, 18:36 +0100 schrieb Murray Cumming:
> > On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 14:51 +0100, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> > > AFAIR, you can flip it of you create a GtkBox/GtkScale, but not if you
> > > create a Gtk[HV]{Box,Scale}... Mitch?
> >
> > Ah. Were those base classes (GtkBox, etc) instantiable before?
> >
> > If the base classes can now already do everything then shouldn't the V/H
> > classes be deprecated already?

A deprecation doesn't force people to change anything. It's not (yet) a
removal of the API, though I guess that is planned for the future. It is
a useful hint and it explains the apparent duplication.

> Oh, I hear you volunteer to update the gazillions lines of code in the
> wild refering those classes? ;-)
>
> I am pretty sure API users would rather switch to Qt, than to follow
> this deprecation.
>
> Well, actually those V/H classes even serve a purpose: When using them
> in a derived widget you can be sure, that nobody will be that evil to
> suddenly change the orientation of your derived widget.

Apparently that's not true though.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com