Re: Notes and thoughts on the GTK+ meeting at GUADEC

On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 13:25 +0200, Kristian Rietveld wrote:
> Great to know that progress is being made here.  Trying things out
> definitely sounds like a good idea.  Even though we are now not
> planning to deprecate GtkStyle in 3.0, we should have an idea whether
> "just sealing it" will provide enough flexibility to migrate to
> "something new" at a later stage. I think one of the larger problems
> has been the hard-coded array sizes of the arrays containing GdkColors
> and GdkGCs (but I am not at all an expert on GtkStyle and theming),
> and this limitation should disappear in a properly written accessor
> function.  Are there more pitfalls that can hold us off from a
> successful migration in the future?

One thing that would be very beneficial would be to start sorting out
some of the style properties, especially those introduced to fix the API
without breaking backwards compatibility.

For example, GtkEntry has a style property "state-hint", which is
basically a "do the correct thing" property, but it has to be set to
FALSE by default, to maintain backwards compatibility.

I've started putting a list together here:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeArt/StyleProperties although, the page should
probably be moved to a better location under GTK+ if someone could
suggest one.

Regards,

Thomas