Re: D-Bus AFL/GPL issues (was Re: GLib plans for the next cycle)

Hi,

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Simon McVittie
<simon mcvittie collabora co uk> wrote:
> As mentioned above, dropping my use of libdbus' "helpful" object path mapping
> and just using a filter function was a net code reduction.

Getting pretty off-topic, but the object path mapping in
DBusConnection isn't intended to be a convenience/helpful thing. The
purpose of it is to ensure that introspection includes objects
registered by all bindings in the process.  So say for example gvfs
exports an object, or libunique exports an object; and then some
python code exports an object; Introspect() needs to merge all those
nodes and return a single list of nodes.

The other possible solution is that every binding has its own private
socket (appears to be a separate app on the bus), which is kind of
fine, but a little bloated/weird. With a private DBusConnection there
is no real reason to use the object path registration.

Havoc