GObject-Introspection 0.5.0

I'm proud to announce the initial release of GObject-Introspection.
Colin Walters and I have been hacking madly on it for the past couple of weeks and we have finally reached a point to where we're ready for more
more users.

Tarball can be found at:
   http://download.gnome.org/sources/gobject-introspection/0.5/

The goal of the project is to describe the APIs and collect them in
a uniform, machine readable format. The initial target is language bindings, which are heavy users of this kind of data.

Interesting parts of this release includes:

* GIR - An XML format used to describe APIs
* Typelib - a way to serialize GIR to disk
* libgirepository - C API to access typelib

GIR format is fairly stable, but expect small parts to change.
The typelib format is not complete and will be extended upon in future releases.

There are Perl, Python and Java bindings publicly available using GObject-Introspection. The gir-repository provides GIRs for common
GObject based libraries (such as pango,gtk,gstreamer,clutter,webkit) until
the libraries themselves ship them.

I'd like to specially thank the following people, who made this release
possible: Matthias Clasen for the initial prototype and general design,
Jürg Biletter for writing a header scanner, Colin Walters for helping out
everywhere and making sure the release got done. Richard Hult & Tor Lillqvist for testing and making sure it works on MacOS X & Win32.

See http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection and the README included
in the tarball for more information.

All contributors to this release:
Jürg Billetter
Gustavo Carneiro
Matthias Clasen
Philip van Hoof
Richard Hult
Tor Lillqvist
Havoc Pennington
Torsten Schönfeld
Rob Taylor
Colin Walters

GObject-Introspection requires flex, bison, python (2.5 or higher) and
glib. ffi 3.0.1 or higher can optionally be used.

Reports bugs to http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=glib&component=introspection
Contract us at: gtk-devel-list gnome org or #introspection at irc.gnome.org
Homepage: http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection

Johan Dahlin