Re: Theme patriation

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 18:38:01 -0400
Thomas Thurman <tthurman gnome org> wrote:

> Possibly the library could be clever enough to understand more than one
> theme format.  Eventually it would probably be best to split it away
> from Metacity entirely.
>
> Do you think this is a good plan?

I don't think it's a good plan. I've seen enough abuse of application
control of their own borders sort of thing done on Windows that I don't
want to see it become especially easy on Linux.

If applications _really_ want to do their own borders, they can already set
their windows borderless and do their own drawing; if the app doesn't need
to make itself unique, then I dont think it needs to draw it's own window
borders.

It also means that hung or laggy program windows won't be movable (at least
not without odd and obscure key combinations), and may not even be closable
without something like xkill.

--
    Ori Bernstein