Re: proposal: substantial change to keyboard-driven action handling

On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 11:57 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> >  There needs to be a 1:1, configurable mapping between any tuple of
> >  these 3 properties and some action within a GTK application.
>
> Why on Earth would you require that mapping be 1:1:?  What you need
> is that action is a [mathematical] function of the 3-tuple.  There is nothing
> wrong with invoking the same action for two different keys.

You're absolutely correct. I was using sloppy language when I used the
term "1:1". What I was trying to get at (unsuccessfully) was that there
should be one, and only one, way to find out what action should be
invoked for a given key event.

> I wonder how this can be done while maintaining some measure of ABI
> stability.

One thing that I forgot to add to my message was that I consider
GtkAction to be a very suitable starting (and perhaps end) point for the
kind of change I am proposing.

My app (http://ardour.org/) is already doing some of its own key
handling (mostly to deal with one of the bug reports I cited) using a
mapping between GtkActions and key event tuples.

--p