Re: Move to LGPL3

Yevgen Muntyan wrote:
Alexander Shaduri wrote:
Hi all,

Having studied the FSF licenses and their restrictions, I think
it would be reasonable to re-license GTK+ under the LGPLv3
(or later) + GPLv2 linking exception (or, alternatively, simply
multi-license it under LGPLv3 / GPLv2).

But you can't do that. Gtk is *LGPL*-2, so you can't
make it GPL-2 (unless you convince all contributors,
including aliens and dead).

Yes, you can.  Quoth the LGPLv2.1:

"You may opt to apply the terms of the ordinary GNU General Public License instead of this License to a given copy of the Library. [...] (If a newer version than version 2 of the ordinary GNU General Public License has appeared, then you can specify that version instead if you wish.)"

Personally I think this clause is kinda ridiculous, but it's there, nonetheless. Any LGPLv#-covered program can be relicensed as a GPLv#-or-later program as well. Interestingly, my reading of this shows that, even if you license under "LGPLv2.1-only", someone can relicense as GPLv2-or-later, or GPLv3-or-later, or even GPLv3-only.

	-brian