Re: why only automake-1.7

Hi!

Automake and autoconf aren't fully backwards compatible so it makes sense to require a specific version. It may work with other versions too but it's impossible to guarantee.

On the other hand you can have multiple versions installed. There is a generic automake wrapper that will try to call the best matching version (usually the newest one). But if you run automake-xyz directy you will get that specific version.

See if your operating system and distribution provides a package for automake-1.7 and install that.

Regards,
Paul Chitescu