Re: squeakGtk

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:16 AM, Gwenael Casaccio <mrgwen gmail com> wrote:
> In fact I use this  function in a thread and the squeak virtual machine also
> use X events
> for the morphs (an old user interface). Here is the problem after some
> events everything
> is frozen the morphs and the gtk widgets.
>
> Do you thing that could be a problem with the X events inside the virtual
> machine and the
> Gtk event loop problems ?

If you have two X display connections (or if smalltalk is using the
GDK one), and threads, any number of weird bugs could be happening.
You'll need to get used to debugging them... ;-)

Be sure you read:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gdk/unstable/gdk-Threads.html

Xlib itself is not threadsafe unless you XInitThreads() which GDK does
not do, so that's something to explore. GDK relies on being the only
code using Xlib so the GDK lock protects Xlib also.

If one display connection does an XGrabServer() then the other display
connection will lock up for the duration of the grab (as will all
other X apps)

Havoc