Re: GUADEC Theming API meeting minutes

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 12:06 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
> You had such a meeting and no-one wanted to address the sad fact
> that theme engines in their current form are a major source of mysterius
> bugs when they corrupt the state of the running program.

This is a problem, but it cannot be addressed by taking engines out of
the equation. We need engines at least for OS integration, so I think
that the best thing we can do is to create a proper quality assurance
for them. A big step would be if we have one good engine on the GNOME
desktop that handles almost all themes, as there will not be as many
third party engines then.

Also I would like to point you to the fact that the quality of the
engines has improved dramatically. At least all engines that are part of
gtk-engines do get proper testing. (In the past I have literally removed
hundreds of places where NULL pointers would be dereferenced and other
bad things could happen.)
I do not know whether the ms-windows or OSX engines are tested in a
similar way, but it would probably be a good thing (I could help setting
things up if wanted).

Benjamin