Re: Justifying the GTK+ 3.0 ABI break

Murray Cumming wrote:
Every time that a parallel-installable GTK+ 3.0 has been proposed, and
now that it has been decided, I have asked for a list of actual useful
features that it will make possible. I've had no luck so far.

We need to offer people a future with some specific advantages so it
doesn't just look like the GTK+ developers are making their own lives a
little easier and scratching an unimportant itch. People don't care if
maintenance is hard for us, but they do care about new features and
particular bug fixes.

Why should the life of a GTK+ developer hard per definition?

The main reason is exactly to make it easier for existing and new developers to contribute to GTK+, the rest are only secondary.

I'm sure plenty of application developers are going keep on using 2.x for a long while, that's perfectly fine.

I do think that it's a little bit of a wasted opportunity to use the 3.0 release number to something as 'boring' as doing process/policy changes etc. I'd prefer using another number, such as 2.90.x for that and make 3.0 contain more of the 'bling', larger functionality additions.

Johan