Re: Astonishing allocation bug in glib-2.16.4 compiled with gcc 2.96

I wrote:

GOT BUG: last=0x82b61a0, next=(nil), new=0x82b61a0

Although I'm inclined to think the bug is due to the old compiler

And I was wrong

In facts, 0x82b61a0 was used and freed various times before eventually being allocated twice on two consecutive loops of the client code. [...]

And it is enough for the client app to free unallocated pointers in order to get the same chunk of memory allocated as often as desired. Unfortunately, I discovered that only after reading the sources and understanding how magazine1 and 2 interact. At that point discovering how to set G_SLICE=debug-blocks has been a breeze.

So, I *don't* apologize for that false report :-) Both because nobody saved me a few hours of code reading on this sunny sunday, and because that debug feature deserves a more thorough advertising: It is nonsensical that client test suites exist without it.

Thanks for a nice lib, anyway, I'm starting to appreciate it...

Ciao
Ale