Re: GtkBuilder bug?

On Feb 27, 2008, at 15:32 , Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:

On 27/02/2008, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 cornell edu> wrote:
Pavel Syomin wrote:
> Hi, all!
>
> I had been experimenting with GtkBuilder using Gtk+ 2.12.5 from Fedora > 8. I have found, that if there is reference to unknown type in UI- file,
> then application crashes. Is it a GtkBuilder bug?
>
> Test program:

[snip]

> Gtk-ERROR **: Invalid type: Unknown
> aborting...
> Segmentation fault

I'm guessing that's intentional. g_error() causes the program to abort, so it looks like whoever did the parsing code in GtkBuilder intended the
app to abort if the UI description has errors.

It's debatable as to whether or not this is the correct behavior, but
one could argue that, if your UI is corrupt, you can't really rely on
your program to work properly, and it could also cause harm to user data
-- basically you have no idea what will happen and your program's
behavior is undefined.

It could also be seen as a way to increase the quality of GtkBuilder UI description files that end up out in the wild. App developers will do a
much better job of making sure their UI files are correct if incorrect
files cause the app to abort.

Hmmm. This sounds like a very narrow minded decision to me.

Or a regular bug. Don't forget how open source works: release, testing,
bug fixing.

Yevgen