Re: Units and resolution independence for gtk+

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 20:08 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> I think what I mean is that most of the UI should use units in points,
> not in em's.  That is, increasing font size should not necessarily
> increase all UI elements.  I can't think of any concrete cases though.
>
> If you just use dpi though, (replace GTK_UNIT_ONE_TWELFTH_EM with
> GTK_UNIT_POINT), then the font size can be used more purposefully: to
> change text size relative to other UI, where in your current design,
> there's not much point in having different font size and dpi.
>
> Makes sense?

I think in general you want the UI elements to scale along with how big
the font appears on the screen; in other words, I think em is a more
natural unit than point. But I'm no expert.

We could also have GDK_UNIT_POINT (not hard to add) but I can't imagine
any uses for it...

     David