Re: subwindow-less Gtk+ and offscreen windows

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 12:22 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 21:35 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > * Some operations require an X window id, for example:
> >    + glXMakeCurrent()
> >       so that you can draw into a window with opengl.
> >       You can still draw to the toplevel window, but you can't
> >       have GdkOffscreenWindow automatically clip the opengl drawing
> >       calls (i think).
> >    + the Xv extension
> >       If you want to show video in a part of your window you need
> >       to use Xv, and you have to give it a subwindow in which to
> render.
>
> Qt changed over to not use subwindows in 4.4.0 I believe. It would be
> interesting to see how they solved problems like these.

It would be nice if you could point out why the very naive solution
which uses a special Gtk/Gdk container widget with an X sub window would
not work in this case. Would it not be backward compatible
(source-level ?). Or would this not allow you to get the simplification
benefits you described earlier because it would force you to keep all
the x subwindow machinery ?

regards,
Mathieu