Re: Abstract string properties with getter/setter functions

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 16:24 -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> By the way, this is a *TERRIBLE* idea.  I don't remember why I wrote the
> code that way.  Please don't follow that broken pattern.

if I may guess, it's because otherwise you'd have to unref the returned
widget, which would be a bit odd in the gtk+ context. it also happens in
the ::get_filter() method of GtkFileChooser (and GtkRecentChooser), for
the same reason: the implementation owns the filter and it's just
returning a pointer to it.

when you call gtk_tree_view_get_model() you don't unref the returned
GtkTreeModel because the tree view widget holds a reference on the model
itself, as it happens in this case:

> [In the file chooser it works because the GtkFileChooser implementation
> always holds a reference to the preview widget.]

yep.

it's like returning a private string as a const-gchar*. in these cases
work because it has been documented and it's more or less consistent
with the rest of the gtk+ API.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--