Re: elastic tabstops implemented for GTK

Hi Alex, everyone

On 29/08/2007, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:

>  Hi again, Nick
>
>  On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 10:46 +0200, Nick Gravgaard wrote:
>  Thanks Alex,
>
> The proportional font stuff is really just a nice side effect - this
> idea has all sorts of nice implications. Off the top of my head,
> imagine a program like ls that outputs a list of directories and
> files. At the moment ls needs to be aware of the number of columns of
> the console to which it is writing, and then it inserts spaces and
> newlines to make things line up. Resizing the console has no effect on
> the layout. Now, I haven't gotten round to implementing word wrap yet,
> but imagine if ls output a simple tab delimited list of directories
> and files instead, and the console undertood elastic tabstops (with
> word wrap implemented). Resizing the console would work, as would
> programs becomes when simple tab delimited text streams works like
> this!
>
> There are many other potential uses too :)
>
> Nick
>

>  How is this coming along? Have you opened bugzilla issues on this yet? I
> really want to start using this!

I thought I'd drop you a mail to tell you that I've turned the gedit
patch into a proper plugin and made the following fixes:

* Other chars than just \n can now terminate paragraphs
* Italic and bold characters are now handled properly
* The minimum width and padding width values can now be configured using gconf

It should be pretty trivial to add the code to anything that uses
GtkSourceView, and probably GtkTextView too.

Have a look at nickgravgaard.com/elastictabstops/#gedit for more
information, and please email me if you have any problems.

Cheers,
Nick