Re: let g_warn_if_fail replace g_assert

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 11:56 +0200, Tim Janik wrote:
> - extend the g_assert() docs to note that:
>    1) programmers are more likely to want to use g_warn_if_fail instead
>       (particularly for libraries, allthough the destabilizing effects
>       of g_assert are also worth avoiding in applicaiton code);

This is the part I don't like.  Making failed sanity checks not exit the
program will *not* make your program more robust; it will just make
people ignore broken programs.  Nobody paid attention to critical
warnings until we started actively crashing programs that printed them
during development versions --- grep for g_log_set_always_fatal() in
gnome-session/main.c.

  Federico