Re: GTK+ Website Review

Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 11:40 +0100, Martyn Russell wrote: [snip]
>>> Under Language Bindings on the same page, i believe that
>>> gtk2-perl has had full support for 2.0 and 2.2 for quite some
>>> time now.
> [snip]
>
> As the original page says, these have always been self-reported
> "supported" statuses. It's not perfect but nothing else would work.
> The original page mentions that this information should be sent to
> the language-bindings mailing list, which is how I regularly update
> the page. http://www.gtk.org/bindings.html

Ah, OK, thanks Murray, I missed that when writing the new pages. I will
add that.

> I notice also that there is no longer a separate section for the
> language bindings that are on the GNOME Platform Bindings schedule.
> These bindings are far more complete and reliably maintained than the
> others and shouldn't be lost among the bigger list. In fact, the
> sentence about the bindings that follow the release schedule is now
> completely false and misleading.
> http://www.imendio.com/~martyn/gtk/features.html

OK. The list we have there is much more comprehensive than the language
bindings information on live.gnome.org. I think it probably makes sense
to make the distinction about which bindings are provided in GNOME and
updated regularly (with a link to the live.gnome.org pages) as well as
the other language bindings available.

I will update the information about the bindings following the release
schedule too - obviously this only applies to bindings we ship with the
platform, not ALL bindings listed on the features page.

> But I still think that nobody will ever find this list again where it
> is hidden at the end of a large page.

I think this point is irrelevant.

I don't think we should have a separate link (i.e. in the link menu at
the top of the page) for language bindings because there isn't enough
space and it isn't as important as some of the other things we could
have on there.

To me, it is obvious that language bindings would be on the features
page if at all. If people want to find that information they will, I
really don't think you have to go out of your way to make it more
accessible.

I am thinking about first time visitors looking to use the site, if they
are really interested, they are most likely to go to the Features page
and read everything they can achieve with this toolkit.

Martyn