Re: Extended Layout Summary

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 14:10 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi Mathias,
>
> Le mardi 20 novembre 2007, à 13:23 +0100, Mathias Hasselmann a écrit :
> > The solution to this problem is simple: Interpret the result of the
> > "size-request" signal as absolutely minimum size and introduce a new
> > function for expressing the natural size of a widget.
>
> Obviously something I should have asked during SoC... What about widgets
> that may have more than one natural size? I'm thinking of the window
> list here, which can group windows if necessary. Maybe that's the only
> case where it would be useful, and if that's true, just forget this edge
> case ;-)

The natural size of the window list is the ungrouped size.

There definitely are cases, like a terminal widget (gridded size), where
a widget can only handle certain sizes, and is going to have to leave
blank space at other sizes. And in fact, even a wrapped label fits that
category. But while keeping things simple, understandable, and
compatible with GTK+ as it exists now, trying to handle those cases is
not feasible.

(Would you really want, say, the notification area applet to get bigger
and smaller as the task list grouped and ungrouped windows?)

- Owen