Re: Merging gio into glib

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 16:07 -0500, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> glib would need dbus as a build requirement for this to work (needs the
> dbus types), and the glib header for the function would have to be
> separate (with a separate .pc file for it) so that it can include
> dbus.h, but it would work, and avoid an extra library. And if you squint
> and ignore the implementation details it would be quite easy to use.
> Just link to glib and dbus, then call the function.

Assuming the scheme I wrote about in my other mail, this is nothing
different.  Yet another glib module.  Lets call it gdbus.  By default,
glib build will put it in a separate .so, same for gthread, probably
gmodule, and any other glib "module" that has external dependencies.
But there will be configure options to build them all in one .so, or
build them all separately, or add/remove on a one-by-one basis.  What's
the problem afterall to have libglib.so depend on dbus on fedora?  It's
the distributor dealing with the headache.  It's transparent to
applications.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/