Re: RFC: Graphing widgets for GTK+

On 6/29/07, Kieran Clancy <clancy kieran+gnome gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

(I hope this is the right place to post this.)

I am in my uni break for the next 3 weeks and am interested in doing
some big development on GTK. One thing I thought seemed lacking in GTK
is a set of widgets for easily producing simple graphs. I've written
up a rationale and a fairly exhaustive list of _possible_ features
here:

http://live.gnome.org/KieranClancy/GtkGraphing

I am looking for comments regarding the best way to arrange the
infrastructure for this (name spaces, gobject stuff), from the
perspective of the developers of GTK, with a view that it might one
day be included in GTK. That way it can be used by applications in the
Gnome desktop (instead of having many separate graphing
implementations).

Any comments would be very appreciated.

That's a very nice outline.

One comment I have is that scientific applications often need to plot large amounts of data and require substantial interactivity. Traditional canvas designs are probably not efficient for this purpose (ie drawing hundreds of thousands of points and updating immediately in response to user interaction). I don't know if you want to consider this application in your design, but I thought I would mention it.

For an example of this based on GTK+, see GGobi (http://www.ggobi.org), which provides interactive graphics for multivariate data analysis. We are currently refactoring the display framework of GGobi for improved clarity, flexibility and performance, so your ideas are interesting to us. We would love to be able to borrow functionality provided by GTK+ or some related library.

Michael

Many thanks,
Kieran.