Re: [gfvs] cdda backend

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 12:47 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:42 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > >  - file manager not a good UI for ripping songs; better to launch
> > >    the cd player
> >
> > That's still current.
>
> I think this is the main issue here. There are technical aspects, yes
> (as noted in your mail), but those are all secondary. The primary
> question is, what is a good way for a desktop to support playing and
> ripping audio CDs such that its powerful and easy to use. I think
> pretending they are wavs succeed in neither of these.

I'm not suggesting to change what happens if you double click the "Audio
CD" icon on the desktop or in computer:///. But what should happen if
you select the "Audio CD" in the file chooser?

The main point of this backend is to unify the IO path for getting the
PCM data on the disc. Contrary to popular belief the data on audio discs
is actually PCM data and pretending it's not isn't really useful.

There's also the point that /dev/cdrom (or whatever) might not be
accessible to the user once (and if) packet writing starts becoming
mainstream. Then it's useful to just grant the gvfsd-cdda driver the
permission to access the device file.

     David