Re: GIO API review

14 dec 2007 kl. 09.27 skrev Alexander Larsson:

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 19:19 +0100, Mikael Hallendal wrote:

For example, if we plan to never use the GAsync infrastructure for
anything other than GIO there is a point to put it under the GIO
namespace as it shows where it belongs and what part of GLib it is
used for. It also means we can have GFooAsync later without the two
getting confused with each other. The same for GCancellable and
similar namespaces.

Eh, why would we not use these for anything other than GIO. They were
specifically designed to be generic and to be used by other APIs.

Please re-read the start of the paragraph you quoted. If this is the case, all the better.

Anything that has cancellable operations (things like libsoup or
whateveR) should use GCancellable.

Perfect!

Without any namespace other than g_ it gives the idea that these
"frameworks" are used for more than one subsystem (at least to me).

Which is why they are good names, as this is the intention.

Then we agree.

GAsync, GCancellable, g_push, g_pop, g_loadable, g_simple are examples
of namespaces that would benefit from being under the GIO name spaced
as they are too generic by themselves.

A few of these are unnecessary taking up namespace, and I'm working on
fixing these.

And here too. :)

Cheers,
  Mikael Hallendal