Re: GTK+ Theming improvements

As for the general rendering of widgets, I think the current way of
letting the widget itself do the drawing, using a bunch of primitives
(ie. boxes, frames, etc.), and then letting the theme engines theme
just those primitives, instead of the whole widget, has shown to not
really work. What most theme engines seem to be doing now, is kind of
reverse engeneer those draw calls, and then render the theming in
their own way, which often is quite different from what the widget
actually thought is was drawing.

I think it would be better if each widget just has it's own, specific
rendering class, which has a single function that should render the
complete widget at once. (this way, you kind of get a model/view
seperation inside controls). Themes can then override this rendering
class, and have complete freedom inside the render function of that
rendering class.

Each renderer should also have a default implementation, which renders
the widget in a default way, using lower level rendering classes,
which render things like edges and boxes. If a theme engine doesn't
implement a specific widget's rendering class, but it did implement
the lower level ones, then it will still be rendered using something
that fits your theme (basically in the same way it's supposed to work
now).

It should also be possible for a renderer to use the renderer of
another (more basic) widget ,for example, a treeview could use the
button renderer as the default renderer for it's column headers.

pseudo code for the default renderer of a checkbox:

class CheckBoxRenderer
{
  struct Params_s
  {
    int state;
    string label;
  }

  virtual void render(GdkDrawable target,Params_s params)
  {
    // default implementation that uses the generic renderer
    GenericRenderer generic_renderer = get_renderer(GENERIC_RENDERER);
    generic_renderer.render_box(target,Rect(0,0,16,16));

    if(params.state)
    {
       generic_renderer.draw_check(target,Rect(0,0,16,16));
    }

    generic_renderer.draw_text(target,Point(24,0),params.label);
  }
}

In this example, overriding the generic renderer class will let you do
theming in the way it's done right now, overriding the
CheckBoxRenderer will give you complete freedom over the way you want
to render the checkbox

To still be able to set up some generic theming things, that will be used by