Re: is glib too bloated?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Ross Burton wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 09:17 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
I think you mean "below" the gobject stack, don't you?  The data
structure libraries are required by gobject after all, aren't they?

In any case, I think a future split out of the glib data structure api
would be excellent.  I pretty much use thinks like gslist, gstring, and
ghash in *all* my C programs.  I also frequently use the glib logging
facility.

On the other hand I don't often use gobjects, the event loop,
call-backs, or any other part of glib in many of these little utility
programs.

It would be nice, though, to only have a small dependency, rather than
the entire glib.

That said, glib isn't that big.

That is the current state: libglib only contains main loop, lists,
strings, hashes and so on.  On top of that there is libgmodule,
libgobject, and libgthread.  If you don't need objects and threads, you
don't need to use them.

But we still need to compile glib with all of the dependency
requirements that this additional functionality imposes.

Think about why there is a libgmodule, libgobject, and libgthread. Why
don't we compile all of that functionality into a single library? Linking
would be easier. We group functionality with a similar focus together to
make it more modular and easier to re-use; Re-use is encouraged and
desirable.

-brandon