Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 18:23 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
>> Wonderful. This'll allow for things like seeking video to work without
>> "Buffering..." on backends that support seek operations.
>
> Not really. The "Buffering..." part is generally where the app streams
> to fill its buffers before starting to play to avoid problems with
> network performance.

In this case I was referring to when you seek forward in the video
player itself, and then the player takes several minutes for the video
to "catch up" with your action. Internally the player (multimedia
library, whatever) is basically streaming the video in a linear fashion
without being able to seek to an arbitrary position in the file.

Cheers,
Nate