Re: Plans for gnome-vfs replacement

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 16:14 +0200, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 14:54, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > Lets take a step back and define the requirements we have:
> >
> > We need to have a form of identifier for files. These come in two forms,
> > absolute and relative (e.g. name of a child to a folder). They must be
> > persistable (if we save a reference somewhere it must make sense on a
> > later login) and transportable (if we pass a reference via e.g. a
> > desktop link to another machine or another user it must make some sort
> > of sense). The exact contents of such identifiers have no special
> > requirements, in fact they could theoretically be binary blobs for all
> > users care, but it does seem nice if we could use something as close as
> > possible to filenames for local files.
> In that case, would it be possible to have it only be built from
> conversion functions and not let applications know what's inside ?
> That way "implementation" can change ad-how.

I'm not sure what you mean. We can't change the identifier ever, because
that would break the persistable requirement.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an unconventional bohemian inventor on the edge. She's a cold-hearted
cat-loving advertising executive with only herself to blame. They fight crime!