Re: GtkBuilder status

Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 11:51 -0300, Johan Dahlin wrote:
>
>> We've made a couple of important decisions:
>> * GMarkup based parser which parses and creates the object tree in one step
>>   go instead of saprving a whole tree in memory.
>> * breaking xml format compatibility with libglade
>> * not supporting any deprecated or broken widgets
>> * only supporting menubar and toolbar construction through GtkUIManager
>> * custom/fake properties are not intended to be supported. Instead
>>   functionality relying on them needs to be rewritten.
>
> I don't really see the necessity of breaking the current xml format, or
> not supporting the older widgets.

In short, to support features that would not be possible otherwise.
The main ones: ui manager definitions and data in models.

You are welcome to submit patches to support older widgets,
I'm just not going to spend time on it.

> I wouldn't mind if it supported alternatives to some of the
> special-cased stuff we have in the current xml, if they were obviously
> much better. But tweaking it slightly will just cause unnecessary
> hassle. (The switch to the glade-2 format was a pain in the neck.)

This will be much easier than glade-1 -> glade-2.
I'm going to write a script and document all changes.

--
Johan Dahlin <jdahlin async com br>
Async Open Source