Re: review of Filechooser dialog documentation

--- Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:

> On 3/17/06, Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com>
> wrote:
> > Now 2.14 has been released, I wonder whether
> anyone on
> > the GTK team could review the documentation I
> wrote
> > for the Open and Save dialogs.
> >
> > It's in the GNOME Desktop User Guide, under
> Desktop
> > Overview/Applications: 2.5.3.â??Choosing a File to
> > Open and 2.5.4.â??Saving a File.
> >
> > It was requested these be covered in the guide, as
> > they have many features that are not widely known.
> > Please could you take a look, and let me know if
> > there's any features I have missed, or if I've
> made
> > any mistakes.
>
> Here are some comments from looking through it
> quickly:
>
> - Don't know if you want to discriminate the OPEN
> and SELECT_FOLDER
>   modes of the file chooser. Its probably worth
> mentioning the differences
>   somewhere: SELECT_FOLDER shows files unselectable
> in the file list,
>   and has a "Create Folder" button.
>
> - "current location" means the pathbar ? It would
> perhaps be helpful to
>   add a screenshot of the file chooser with some
> labels to explain the
>   terminology.
>
> - You should probably explain the scrolling feature
> of the pathbar
>
> - You don't mention remote files at all. Maybe this
> is an advanced topic,
>   but bookmarks can point to remote locations, and
> when opening them,
>   you may get a gnome-vfs authentication dialog.
> Also, the C-L location
>   entry allows you to enter urls pointing to remote
> locations.
>
> - Bookmarks can also be added/removed by DND
>
> - It might be worthwhile to explain that the "Open"
> button is "smart". It
>   tries to do the right thing, depending on your
> previous action.

There's already this:
'If you open a folder or a location instead of a file,
the Open File dialog updates to show the contents of
that folder or location.'
Does it need to be clearer or more prominent?

> - You don't mention the "Replace" dialog that you
> may get when selecting
>   and exisiting file in the save dialog.

Thanks for looking at this.
I'll get all of this into the User Guide in time for 2.14.1.