Re: Gtk+ print support - request for feedback

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
That would be great.  I would say eggcupsutils.c should be looked at
closely and perhaps can be reworked to become part of the CUPS library
itself. It provides a generic async framework for POST and GET.

We've had several requests for a general-purpose async request
interface in CUPS, which is somewhat puzzling to me because the
only things that *aren't* asynchronous are the convenience APIs.

The eggcupsutils stuff is just wrapping the CUPS APIs to manage the
whole request, including authentication, but it doesn't expose
enough to allow an event-driven (think select() or poll() on the FD)
application to "do the right thing" for truly asynchronous operation.

There are also still blocking issues WRT authentication and
connecting to the server, so ultimately if we *do* add anything to
CUPS it will need to address them, too.