Re: Help in debugging the DirectFB backend - issue reprodicible with X11 but not a crasher

Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

Carl Worth wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 01:06:43 +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:

I think cairodfb or gdkdfb must previously have corrupted memory somewhere, but i can't detect when nor where: can anyone reproduce this or give me an hint about how to catch it?

Have you tried running the program under valgrind? Something like:

yes, and below is what vg tells me.
From a previous test using gdb (see log under vg's log) i noticed the stack was messed up, and going back from gtk_target_table_free() i found the gtk_text_layout_set_buffer() problem i reported about. Note i often (but not always) get other strange crashes, like when i resize a window and the gtk app was linked using efence (i think efence unveils silent memory corruptions)

<snip>

rplying to myself, i report an experiment i did with GTK+ from CVS using X11 backend and running GIMP as a test application. As you can see, below tk_text_buffer_free_target_lists() passes "8" as a second parameter to gtk_target_table_free(), but in the stack i fing "141806480". Moreover, the i counter in gtk_target_table_free() is decremented (from 8 to 0) instead of being incremented from 0 to 8. This looks strange to me: is there any explanation for this ? could this be a crasher bug with DFB and a silent bug with X11 ? can anyone reproduce this ?

During a furter test i was able to crash the gimp, using the X backend, exactly the same way it did with GTKDFB.
The test was run on a debian stable using

-GTK+ from CVS
-Glib 2.12.0
-cairo from cvs
-pango-1.13.3

instead of standard deian stable corresponding libraries

Attilio