RE: GTK+ modularization

Just to provide a slightly different perspective on this...

We're quite serious about using GTK+ in the embedded space.  Unlike many
embedded devices, we're not just shipping with a custom set of built-in
apps.  We'll be exposing APIs and want to provide a capable platform for
3rd party app development.  GTK+, obviously, will form the basis of the
application framework.

We aren't trying to squeeze a system into 2 or 3 MB, but optimizing ROM
size is still a concern for us.  The less ROM we require, the cheaper
devices based on our platform will be.  And of course, there's a point
at which too large a ROM prevents us from being competitive.  I think
the bigger concern for us, though, (at least currently) is performance.
Embedded devices have smaller caches and less RAM.  I'm not personally
involved with the performance investigation, but my impression is that a
big issue is reducing the number of pages in the working set of a
typical application in order to reduce paging.  Dave can probably jump
in here and correct me if I'm wrong, but removing "unused" stuff
sprinkled throughout the GTK+ libraries would be great.  Beyond the
classes of stuff Matthias removed in his patch, it seems likely that
there's a set of widgets which are really valuable on the desktop, but
which aren't particularly useful on a handheld (at least not as
currently implemented).  At least for PalmSource's purposes, those would
also be good candidates.

I'm pleased to see this discussion - we've certainly been planning
internally to try stripping unneeded widgets, although we haven't
settled on a list yet.  We're still using v2.6, so folks may not care,
but I'm happy to share our results (once we've obtained them).  Also, if
he'd like, I can try to put Mathias in touch with whoever will be
looking at this on our end.

Jesse